Download [ Assistant Director of Operations position - pdf ]
Central Okanagan Public Schools (School District No. 23), Kelowna BC, provides education services to 23,000 students in the communities of Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country and the Regional District of Central Okanagan. We invite applications for the position of: Assistant Director of Operations
The Central Okanagan School District has a diverse opportunity for a dynamic, self-motivated individual as Assistant Director of Operations. This is a full-time excluded position.
This role requires applying your technical, contractual, planning, financial, and procurement skills to support the Maintenance Department and the construction or renovation of schools.
The Assistant Director must be extremely proactive with the ability to complete tasks with limited timelines. Considerable judgement will be required in managing a large volume of projects while ensuring that the Maintenance Department is efficient and optimal.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the financial and administration of the Maintenance Department
- Monitor, evaluate and recruit staff in the Maintenance Department
- Estimate and produce accurate and detailed project budgets
- Manage and administer contract documentation including correspondence, plans and specifications, approval documentation, contractual notices and invoices
- Liaise with external partners such as the Ministry of Education, City and Municipal Authorities, as well as Architects, Consultants and School Administrators to ensure that • Ensure satisfactory project completion within the authorized budget
- Provide computerized financial recordkeeping of ongoing projects by reviewing and approving invoices, preparing and maintaining detailed project cost reports showing commitments, expenditures and available or received funding. Assist in planning, administration and completing feasibility studies and Project Definition Reports as required.
- Any and all other related duties assigned by the Director of Operations
Knowledge and Abilities Requirements:
- Thorough knowledge of building design and construction processes, contract law, CCDC documents, public tendering practices, bonding and surety, bid depository rules and procedures.
- Excellent financial forecasting, tracking, and reporting skills
- Thorough knowledge of up-to-date building technology for architectural, mechanical, electrical and structural disciplines. Thorough knowledge of materials and methods used in building construction.
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications.
- Ability to effectively utilize Windows computers including word processing, excel spreadsheets, database and communications software.
- Superior administrative and managerial skills. This position will have significant number of managers, trades persons, and support staff as direct reports.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, school and maintenance staff, consultants, city inspectors and others.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate of Engineering, Construction Management, Quantity Surveyor, MBA or graduate of an Institute of Technology with five to ten years of supervisory experience in a large unionized work environment
- Valid BC Driver’s License. (Business use of personal vehicle will be required)
This is an exempt position with a salary range of $121,934 to $135,483 plus benefits package, including participation in a defined benefit pension plan.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply online complete with cover letter and resume outlining relevant background and work experience and 3 references by 12:00 p.m. (PST) on
Monday March 30, 2020 at: https://bit.ly/2Q3iXTk.
The Central Okanagan Public Schools thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.