Download [ Grounds Worker position - pdf ]
Grounds Worker (40 hours per week)
In this permanent, 12 month position, the Grounds Worker will perform skilled, semi-skilled and manual work involving the general maintenance, renovation and construction of grounds and delivery of materials and equipment throughout the North Vancouver School District. You are able to exercise some independent judgment and take action to resolve routine work issues however, you will be under the direction of a Supervisor. Any complex issues that arise are referred to the Supervisor. The Grounds Worker will need to understand verbal or written instructions and plans or sketches received from a Supervisor. Work performance is reviewed and evaluated by a supervisor in terms of safe and efficient services provided to the School District.
- Performs a variety of skilled, semi-skilled and manual tasks in general grounds maintenance such as digging, grass cutting, raking, weeding, trimming, pruning, planting, fertilizing, aerating, top dressing and general grounds cleanup including renovation and construction.
- Cleans, repairs and constructs drainage systems and erosion deterrents using a variety of equipment including a tractor/backhoe.
- Cleans, repairs and constructs walks, steps, and paths.
- Conducts pre-trip inspections; safely operates light vehicles, including loaded truck(s) and trailer, up to and including 18,000 kg GVW and a tractor/backhoe. Transports materials, equipment, parts, supplies, furniture and mail.
- Loads and unloads the materials, equipment, parts, supplies, furniture and mail throughout the School District.
- Maintains and repairs irrigation systems.
- Maintains, repairs, and installs field, fence and playground equipment.
- Levels and screens all-weather fields; installs and removes goal posts and cross bars as required.
- Estimates and orders necessary supplies and maintains simple related records.
- Sweeps and cleans parking lots, walks and pathways, cleans under brush, cuts trees, removes snow and performs other grounds cleaning tasks.
- Operates, cleans and maintains a variety of hand and power tools such as weed eaters, grass cutters, chain saw, pumps, roto-rooters, power washer and other landscaping and grounds tools as required.
- Performs other related work as required.
What we Require
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices and rules of safe operation of specified tools, equipment and vehicles, used in general maintenance, renovation and construction of grounds.
- Sound knowledge of safe truck driving techniques.
- Ability to effectively and safely perform a variety of semi-skilled and manual tasks related to the maintenance, renovation and construction of grounds
- Able to exercise some independent judgment and action in routine assignments.
- Able to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and read plans and sketches.
- Able to estimate and order necessary supplies and maintain simple related records.
- Able to safely operate light vehicles, tractor/backhoe and grounds equipment.
- Able to safely perform loading, unloading and furniture moving tasks.
- Able to work safely and effectively with School District staff, students, and the public.
- Skill in the care, maintenance and use of a variety of hand and power tools and equipment.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to safely perform semi-skilled and manual work outdoors in all weather.
Desirable Training and Experience
Completion of the 12th grade or equivalent, supplemented by one year of post-secondary landscape or horticulture training courses related to the work. Minimum two years related work experience in landscape or horticulture work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Demonstrated safe driving record.
Required Licenses, Certificates and Registrations
- Valid Driver's Licence for the Province of B.C.
- One Year Certificate in Landscaping or Horticulture, from a Community College, or equivalent.
How to Apply
Applying is a two step process:
1) First, create your profile on Make A Future
2) Second, apply to the North Vancouver School District’s Grounds Worker position located under Support Staff on Make a
Click on this link to apply: https://bit.ly/2v1oAdj
North Vancouver School District values the time you’ve taken to submit your application, however only those selected to move forward will be contacted.
We would like to thank the Coast Salish people, specifically the Skwxwú7mesh Nation and Tsleil-Waututh Nation, upon whose unceded traditional territory the North Vancouver School District resides. We value the opportunity to learn, share and grow on this traditional territory.